Profoundly committed to providing effervescence

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

This is your brain


Here is an MRI image of a brain. No, it's not mine. I do have my actual films at home and I keep them tucked away most of the time. However, the past two years before leaving on the bike trip I have pulled those oversized envelopes out of the closet, carefully slipped the large image sheets out and held them up to the light. I squint at the little white dots in my brain and remind myself why I'm doing what I'm doing, and why I asked people for money. Looking at those images makes me uncomfortable.

I remember the day I was told I had MS. I found out from a friend who happens to be a doctor. He had ordered the MRI and I remember him sitting down to talk to me about the results. His words were "your brain MRI came back abnormal"

Abnormal.

I feel really lucky that I received that news from a friend. It was less traumatic, and I felt safe with him.

Now, today, it's been over four years and I'm stronger, and probably in someways healthier than before I had the news. Actually, I know I am healthier. I make better choices. I laugh easier, and appreciate the little things in life a lot more. All of that is normal as I think when you realize you've been taking something for granted that you shouldn't take for granted, for example... let's say .. umm, like, the ability to walk, you, of course, are going to be more thankful when you realize all that you have. I find more than ever now that I'll take the stairs instead of the escalator. In fact, I'll take them two at a time and run up them fast.

Feeling out of breath never felt so good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog looks great! After all these years of friendship it's great to read about things I either hadn't known, or things I'd tucked away. AND you certainly do take the stairs two at a time now, and definitely PUT ME to SHAME!

3:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reb:

Just getting caught up on backlog of email...and in the short time it takes me to read the past month, I find you have developed yet another talent. When do you have the time...

Wishing you the best on your ride!

8:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,

Wow! Your writing skills are growing. Maybe that's one of the reasons you became a blogger. Your story of your friendship with Peggy brought tears.So much to do before you go but please get enough sleep. We love you. Have a wonderful time!

Jim and Susie

10:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home