Profoundly committed to providing effervescence

Friday, August 18, 2006

Alright, who put the bullet in the furnace?

I was 5 years old and standing on the sidewalk and I had just made my first friend. Her name was Peggy H. It was sunny and warm and I remember standing there and she told me she had to go to school and that I shouldn't play with anyone until she got home later.

Well, it's been 28 years and even though I managed to make a few friends in that time, Peggy has remained a friend through all of these years. My friendship with her is all encompassing. We attended St. Mary's from kindergarten to 8th grade. We were the St. Mary's Hawks. Go Hawks. We played basketball, baseball, we were cheerleaders, we sang in the choir (and she played the guitar), and during that time we both loved J.J. Hibbard. We were taught the rosary, went to church twice a week (once during the week and then, of course, on Sunday with our families) , and had a dress code that didn't allow us to wear jeans. Our second grade teacher was Sister Corrine and in second grade Peg and I both decided we would be nuns. (We're still tweaking that plan) We had slumber parties at Kathy Knipps house and her dog Schnupsi terrified me and would chase me as I ran screaming into Kathy's room and slammed the door. In 9th grade we spent one year at Washington Jr. High, where we were the Terrors. I think they have since changed that mascot. After that we made our way to Lincoln High School. We made our way, even though we didn't run in the same circles as we got older, we were always friends.

What's amazing is that after all of these years Peggy is still someone I can sit down with and feel like we've not missed a beat. She still makes me laugh as hard as ever. She is smart, beautiful and funny as all get out. She is married to a great guy (even though in high school he would shove me into the boards during floor hockey) and has two cute kids. The picture is of her daughter, which is one of my favorites of all time.

I feel proud that she's my friend and admire her for the person she has become. I look forward to the next 28 years and then the next 28 years. I hope to walk with her again when we are old ladies, down 32nd Street to Division, look over at her and share a laugh.

Peggy now calls Austin, Texas her home, but her and Pete are currently living living in Iowa for the next year and that's lucky for me. She emailed me today and had said she hoped we could get to see each other soon. We will --for certain. She signed off on her last email "BTW - I'm glad you're playing with other friends while we're apart..." she's still the same girl I met all those years ago.

So, what does this have to do with biking or my upcoming trip to Europe? Everything. We are made into the people we are by those that surround us, that love us, that support us. Peggy has stood the test of time and I hope for all of you to have a Peggy in your life. If not, I am happy to share.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home